Developing Marketing and Communications Strategies to Promote Demand and Uptake
Taking steps to bring people to your programs—and vice versa
Need help with marketing and communications? Contact us!
For PrEP to have sustainable health impact, relevant attitudes, knowledge, social norms and beliefs need to be shaped at individual, community and policy level. People must understand the benefits of PrEP and believe these outweigh any possible negatives. They must have relevant practical and emotional reasons to use PrEP products consistently and correctly.
An evidence-based marketing and communications plan lays out the activities you’ll undertake to ensure that PrEP is understood and used in ways that have an impact people’s health and health seeking behaviors. Experience has shown that these plans work when they include many of the following: strategies for influencing social and behavior change in ways that support PrEP uptake and use, plans for creating demand among priority populations, training for providers, counselors, peer educators on how to talk about and provide PrEP and more.
Below you will find steps to create a marketing and communications plan to promote demand for and uptake of PrEP; additional resources are linked at the bottom of the page:
Conduct a situation analysis of key audiences
Develop a strategic plan for marketing and communications
- Identify key strategic objectives and goals.
- Define resource requirements (e.g., more personnel or training needs) and activities you will need to achieve strategic objectives.
- Identify key messages you want your target audiences to hear, and what activities and communications channels are relevant for PrEP uptake and adherence.
- Identify people that influence PrEP users for PrEP uptake and adherence and plan how to positively impact their views about the value of PrEP.
- Highlight research gaps and how to address them.
- Create a workplan.
Develop and test marketing and communications materials
- Create, pre-test and pilot communications materials and methods for your target audiences; make changes to materials after testing and piloting and then disseminate the updated versions.
- Ensure communications channels fit with the needs of the target audiences.
- Ensure compliance with government regulations.
- Investigate if you can leverage any exisiting materials to help reach your target audiences.
- Ensure collaboration with others working in the PrEP arena as necessary.
- Develop new standard operating procedures (SOPs) as required.
Implement and monitor your strategy
- Ensure your demand creation materials and messages are aligned with all other communications and advocacy information.
- Ensure local media is informed of PrEP in a timely manner so that they are knowledgeable and can help in demand creation and advocacy activities.
- Monitor the reaction to demand creation materials and activities and make changes as necessary.
- Remember to refresh the materials in order to keep PrEP current and relevant to the target audiences.
Build an evaluation system
- Define objectives, with measurable outcomes for the demand creation work.
- Define evaluation methods and measures.
- Apply evaluation outcomes to subsequent PrEP demand creation materials.