Gilead's Truvada (TDF/FTC) registrationApproved
Generic versions of TDF/FTC for preventionUnder review
Types of Projects
- Large-scale implementation initiative — funded/implementer involvement and investment in some or all steps related to comprehensive introduction that may or may not use government clinics as the primary service delivery point – e.g., Kenya’s Jilinde program.
- National level — PrEP availability in government clinics
Research, Demonstration and Implementation Projects
Who can be placed on PrEP:
- Individuals who engage in high risk sexual behavior (FSW, MSM, transactional sex)
- HIV negative partner in discordant couples
- Discordant couples attempting to conceive
- Women or men who cannot negotiate safe sex with their partners
- People who engage in multiple current sexual partnerships
- IV drug users
- Studies have shown that PrEP to be more effective in men in African settings
- Concentrations of TRU in vagina and cervix are lower than those found in the rectum
- Women may need near perfect adherence to have adequate protection against HIV during vaginal sex
- Protective levels of TRU are usually reached in the rectum within 1 week and for adequate vaginal concentrations within 3 weeks
Resources for Botswana
- Click for the latest information from the Botswana Ministry of Health & Wellness.
- A Framework for Scaling Up PrEP can help implementers, government and advocates begin planning for and implementing PrEP programs.
- BOFWA is a local organization dedicated to providing sexual health and reproductive services (including PrEP) to adolescents, adults and families in Botswana.
- BONELA is collaborating with other stakeholders to shape PrEP rollout in Botswana and protect the rights of at-risk individuals.
- The International Treatment Preparedness Coalition (ITPC) is a global network of people living with HIV, treatment activists and their supporters dedicated to treatment access for all in need. The organization has been an active advocate and participant in shaping PrEP rollout in Botswana.