Gilead's Truvada (TDF/FTC) registrationApproved
Generic versions of TDF/FTC for preventionApproved
Types of Delivery Projects
- Large-scale implementation initiative — funded/implementer involvement and investment in some or all steps related to comprehensive introduction that may or may not use government clinics as the primary service delivery point – e.g., Kenya’s Jilinde program.
Research, Demonstration and Implementation Projects
- Consolidated Guidelines for Treatment & Prevention of HIV Infection (2016)
- National HIV/AIDS Strategic Framework 2017-2021
- The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
- Nike Foundation
Oral PrEP is the use of antiretroviral (ARV) drugs before HIV exposure by people who are not infected with HIV to block the acquisition of HIV. Twelve trials on the effectiveness of oral PrEP have been conducted among serodiscordant couples, heterosexual men, women, men who have sex with men, people who inject drugs and transgender women. Where adherence has been high, significant levels of efficacy have been achieved, showing the value of this intervention as part of combination prevention approaches. WHO recommends oral PrEP containing TDF should be offered as an additional prevention choice for people at substantial risk of HIV infection as part of combination HIV prevention approaches.
- Oral PrEP should be initiated to negative partner in a serodiscordant relationship whose HIV positive partner has refused to initiate cART.
- Persons engaged in high-risk activities may also be considered for PrEP.
- HIV testing is required before PrEP is offered.
- Repeat HIV testing is recommended while PrEP is taken every three months.
- The frequent HIV testing during PrEP use should also ideally become an opportunity for STI screening and management.
- Those diagnosed HIV positive should be maintained on the same regimen.
- PrEP should be provided as part of the combination prevention package (with condom use, HTS, family planning, STI testing etc).
Resources for Zambia
- Map of HIV Prevention Research and PrEP Demonstration Sites in Zambia
- A Framework for Scaling Up PrEP can help implementers, government and advocates begin planning for and implementing PrEP programs.
- Click for the latest information from the Zambia Ministry of Health.