Gilead's Truvada (TDF/FTC) registrationApproved
Generic versions of TDF/FTC for preventionApproved
Types of Projects
- Clinical trial
- Demonstration projects, which road-test the use of new options in real-world settings—not in a trial site. They have a formal evaluation component that is designed to address specific elements of introduction such as infrastructure needs and ways individuals can integrate it into daily activities.
- National health systems — PrEP availability in government clinics.
- Large-scale implementation initiative — funded/implementer involvement and investment in some or all steps related to comprehensive introduction that may or may not use government clinics as the primary service delivery point – e.g., Kenya’s Jilinde program.
- Private sector
Research, Demonstration and Implementation Projects
- National launch of oral PrEP for all Kenyans at substantial risk in May 2017; click here for Framework for the Implementation of Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis in Kenya (2017)
- Click here for Guidelines on use of ARV drugs for treating and preventing HIV infections (2016)
- The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
- MAC AIDS Fund
- Kenya Ministry of Health
- Nike Foundation
Selected Technical & Strategic Assistance
PrEP is offered to sexually active HIV-negative individuals who are at significant risk of acquiring HIV infection. Clients must meet ALL of the following criteria before initiating PrEP:
1. At high risk for acquiring HIV, by meeting ANY of the following indications
- Sexual partner is known HIV positive and: not on ART, or on ART < 6 months, or suspected poor adherence to ART, or most recent viral load is detectable
- Sexual partner/s are of unknown HIV status and are at high-risk for HIV infection (has multiple sexual partners, has had STIs, engages in transactional sex, injects drugs, from high HIV burden settings)
- Engaging in transactional sex
- History of recent sexually transmitted infection
- Recurrent use of post-exposure prophylaxis
- History of sex whilst under the influence of alcohol or recreational drugs as a habit
- Inconsistent or no condom use or unable to negotiate condom use during intercourse with persons of unknown HIV status
- Injection drug use where needles and syringes are shared
- Sero-discordant couples trying to conceive
2. AND meet ALL of the following criteria
- Confirmed HIV negative (rapid antibody testing following the HTS algorithm on the day of PrEP initiation is adequate confirmation of HIV-negative status)
- Does not have a current or recent (within past one month) illness consistent with acute HIV infection (fever, sore throat, muscle or joint pains, swollen glands, diarrhoea or headache) in combination with a preceding high-risk exposure for HIV
- Assessed as ready to adhere to PrEP and willing to attend follow-up evaluations including repeat HIV testing and monitoring for side effects
- No contraindication to use of TDF +/- FTC/3TC
Resources for Kenya
- Materials from the Kenya program, Jipende Ji PrEP: FAQ brochure version 1, version 2, version 3; poster; stickers
- Kenya advertisements: radio spot #1, radio spot #2, TV spot
- Kenya Market Intelligence Analyses: Adolescent Girls and Young Women, Men Who Have Sex With Men, Female Sex Workers and Serodiscordant Couples
- Landscape Analysis for Oral PrEP Communications in Kenya
- Oral PrEP Private Sector Landscape Analysis
- Landscape Gap Analysis for Oral PrEP Communications in Kenya
- Kenya PrEP and Self-Testing Abstract Book
- Interactive Timeline for the Introduction of Oral PrEP in Kenya
- Oral PrEP Introduction Kenya Rollout Scenario Analysis
- Early Lessons from Kenya’s Oral PrEP Rollout Planning
- Mapping of Organizations and Funders Working on Oral PrEP in Kenya
- Oral PrEP Situation Analysis for Kenya
- A Framework for Scaling Up PrEP can help implementers, government and advocates begin planning for and implementing PrEP programs.
- Click here for the latest information from the Kenya Ministry of Health.
- SEARCH (Sustainable East Africa Research in Community Health) is an ongoing demonstration project in Kenya providing HIV testing and PrEP to at risk populations.
- Jilinde Facebook Group is a source for community updates, PrEP information and support.
- Map of HIV Prevention Research and PrEP Demonstration Sites in Kenya
- Map of HIV Prevention Research and PrEP Demonstration Sites in Kisumu, Kenya