Gilead's Truvada (TDF/FTC) registrationApproved
Generic versions of TDF/FTC for preventionApproved
Types of Projects
- Behavioral and social science projects
- Clinical trial
- Demonstration projects, which road-test the use of new options in real-world settings—not in a trial site. They have a formal evaluation component that is designed to address specific elements of introduction such as infrastructure needs and ways individuals can integrate it into daily activities.
- National health systems — PrEP availability in government clinics.
- Large-scale implementation initiative — funded/implementer involvement and investment in some or all steps related to comprehensive introduction that may or may not use government clinics as the primary service delivery point – e.g., Kenya’s Jilinde program.
- Private sector
- Product introduction and support projects
Research, Demonstration and Implementation Projects
- Kenya AIDS Strategic Framework II: Sustain gains, bridge gaps and accelerate progress
- National launch of oral PrEP for all Kenyans at substantial risk in May 2017; click here for Framework for the Implementation of Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis in Kenya (2017)
- Click here for Guidelines on use of ARV drugs for treating and preventing HIV infections (2018)
- The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
- MAC AIDS Fund
- Kenya Ministry of Health
- Nike Foundation
Selected Technical & Strategic Assistance
PrEP is offered to sexually active HIV-negative individuals who are at significant risk of acquiring HIV infection. Clients must meet ALL of the following criteria before initiating PrEP:
1. At high risk for acquiring HIV, by meeting ANY of the following indications
- Sexual partner is known HIV positive and: not on ART, or on ART < 6 months, or suspected poor adherence to ART, or most recent viral load is detectable
- Sexual partner/s are of unknown HIV status and are at high-risk for HIV infection (has multiple sexual partners, has had STIs, engages in transactional sex, injects drugs, from high HIV burden settings)
- Engaging in transactional sex
- History of recent sexually transmitted infection
- Recurrent use of post-exposure prophylaxis
- History of sex whilst under the influence of alcohol or recreational drugs as a habit
- Inconsistent or no condom use or unable to negotiate condom use during intercourse with persons of unknown HIV status
- Injection drug use where needles and syringes are shared
- Sero-discordant couples trying to conceive
2. AND meet ALL of the following criteria
- Confirmed HIV negative (rapid antibody testing following the HTS algorithm on the day of PrEP initiation is adequate confirmation of HIV-negative status)
- Does not have a current or recent (within past one month) illness consistent with acute HIV infection (fever, sore throat, muscle or joint pains, swollen glands, diarrhoea or headache) in combination with a preceding high-risk exposure for HIV
- Assessed as ready to adhere to PrEP and willing to attend follow-up evaluations including repeat HIV testing and monitoring for side effects
- No contraindication to use of TDF +/- FTC/3TC
Resources for Kenya
- Overview of OPTIONS/CHMT Collaboration in Kiambu County, Kenya
- Materials from the Chagua PrEP, Chagua Life Campaign from Kiambu County, Kenya
- Dapivirine Ring Early Introduction Considerations: Kenya analysis: The OPTIONS Consortium conducted secondary research and interviews with key stakeholders in several countries to understand questions about the ring that could inform demonstration and processes for introducing new biomedical HIV prevention products.
- Materials from the Kenya program, Jipende Ji PrEP: FAQ brochure version 1, version 2, version 3; poster; stickers
- Kenya advertisements: radio spot #1, radio spot #2, TV spot
- Kenya Market Intelligence Analyses: Adolescent Girls and Young Women, Men Who Have Sex With Men, Female Sex Workers and Serodiscordant Couples
- Landscape Analysis for Oral PrEP Communications in Kenya
- Oral PrEP Private Sector Landscape Analysis
- Landscape Gap Analysis for Oral PrEP Communications in Kenya
- Kenya PrEP and Self-Testing Abstract Book
- Interactive Timeline for the Introduction of Oral PrEP in Kenya
- Oral PrEP Introduction Kenya Rollout Scenario Analysis
- Early Lessons from Kenya’s Oral PrEP Rollout Planning
- Mapping of Organizations and Funders Working on Oral PrEP in Kenya
- Oral PrEP Situation Analysis for Kenya
- A Framework for Scaling Up PrEP can help implementers, government and advocates begin planning for and implementing PrEP programs.
- Click here for the latest information from the Kenya Ministry of Health.
- SEARCH (Sustainable East Africa Research in Community Health) is an ongoing demonstration project in Kenya providing HIV testing and PrEP to at risk populations.
- Jilinde Facebook Group is a source for community updates, PrEP information and support.
- Map of HIV Prevention Research and PrEP Demonstration Sites in Kenya
- Map of HIV Prevention Research and PrEP Demonstration Sites in Kisumu, Kenya