Gilead's Truvada (TDF/FTC) registrationApproved
Generic versions of TDF/FTC for preventionNot submitted
Types of Projects
- Large-scale implementation initiative — funded/implementer involvement and investment in some or all steps related to comprehensive introduction that may or may not use government clinics as the primary service delivery point – e.g., Kenya’s Jilinde program.
Research, Demonstration and Implementation Projects
- The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, PEPFAR, Nike Foundation
Oral PrEP is recommended for HIV-negative individuals at ‘significant risk’ of becoming infected with HIV. ‘Significant risk’ is defined as a three percent risk of being infected with HIV in one year. An individualized risk assessment should be performed for HIV-negative individuals in order to determine if PrEP is an appropriate HIV prevention strategy. The risk assessment should inquire about known high risk behaviors for acquiring HIV. Although it is important to conduct a risk assessment for each HIV-negative person before offering PrEP, the following groups of people are suggested for targeting of PrEP services based on high risk behaviors:
- Exchanged sex for money
- Paid for sex
- Men who have sex with men and transgender people
- People who inject drugs
- In serodiscordant relationship and HIV-positive partner is not on ART
- In serodiscordant relationship and HIV-positive partner has been on ART for < 12 months
- In serodiscordant relationship and HIV-positive partner’s viral load is 1000 copies/ml or recent viral load is not known but partner’s ART adherence is documented to be poor
- Multiple concurrent sexual partners
- Incarcerated individuals
Resources for Lesotho
- Click for the latest information from the Lesotho Ministry of Health.
- A Framework for Scaling Up PrEP can help implementers, government and advocates begin planning for and implementing PrEP programs.