Gilead's Truvada (TDF/FTC) registrationApproved
Generic versions of TDF/FTC for preventionApproved
Viiv’s Apretude (CAB for PrEP) RegistrationUnder review
IPM’s Dapivirine Ring RegistrationApproved
Types of Delivery Projects
- Behavioral and social science projects
- Clinical trials
- Implementation projects — funded/implementer involvement and investment in some or all steps related to comprehensive introduction that may or may not use government
- Large-scale implementation initiative — funded/implementer involvement and investment in some or all steps related to comprehensive introduction that may or may not use government clinics as the primary service delivery point – e.g., Kenya’s Jilinde program.
- Open-label extension
- Product introduction and support project
- Implementation Plan for HIV Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis in Zimbabwe 2018-2020
- Guidelines for Antiretroviral Therapy for the Prevention and Treatment of HIV in Zimbabwe (2016)
- The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
- IMPAACT Network
- Nike Foundation
Selected Technical & Strategic Assistance
Oral PrEP will be made available to all individuals who are HIV uninfected and are at substantial risk of HIV infection after individual risk assessment. The following are indications for PrEP by history over the past 6 months:
- HIV negative and sexual partner with HIV who has not been on effective therapy for the preceding 6 months OR
- HIV negative and sexually active in a high HIV prevalence population AND any of the following:
- Vaginal or anal intercourse without condoms with more than one partner, OR
- A sexual partner with one or more HIV risk factors, OR
- A history of an STI by lab testing or self-report or syndromic STI treatment, OR
- Any use of post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP), OR
- Requesting PrEP
However, individuals belonging to certain population groups may be at higher risk of HIV infection than others and should be offered PrEP. These may include:
- Female and male sex workers;
- Sero-discordant couples (the HIV sero-negative partner)
- Adolescent girls and young women;
- Pregnant women in relationships with men of unknown status
- High-risk men (MSMs, prisoners, long distance truck drivers) and
- Transgender people.
Individual risk assessment will be made based on various behavioral factors and other factors to assess vulnerability.
Resources for Zimbabwe
- Zimbabwe dapivirine ring situation and delivery channel analysis: This analysis can be used by policymakers, implementers, and others planning for the introduction of the ring and other biomedical HIV prevention methods in Zimbabwe.
- Stakeholder conversations to inform delivery of new HIV prevention methods in Zimbabwe
- National PrEP Campaign Materials: Animation video, Animation video 2, Shona video, Ndebele video, poster shades, poster cap, poster cap2, poster family, flyer
- Materials from the #GarawaPrEPa Campaign from Chitungwiza, Zimbabwe
- Comprehensive National HIV Communications Strategy for Zimbabwe: 2019-2025 — The guiding framework for implementing integrated HIV communications interventions and activities.
- The Dapivirine Ring Introduction Matrix – The ring introduction matrix is an early-stage implementation tool intended to help policymakers and implementers consider the introduction of the dapivirine ring alongside oral PrEP.
- Dapivirine Ring Early Introduction Considerations: Zimbabwe analysis — The OPTIONS Consortium conducted secondary research and interviews with key stakeholders in several countries to understand questions about the ring that could inform demonstration and processes for introducing new biomedical HIV prevention products.
- Map of HIV Prevention Research and PrEP Demonstration Sites in Zimbabwe
- Sample PrEP jingles, written by local Zimbabwe artists and developed with the support of OPTIONS for use in the Zimbabwe oral PrEP launch on June 15, 2018. This jingle was developed by a young transgender woman in Zimbabwe for the purpose of sharing the benefits of PrEP with her peers. Similarly, this adaptation of the popular song ‘Tipei maoko’ by well-known local artist Tocky Vibes includes PrEP messaging throughout.
- Oral PrEP Situation Analysis for Zimbabwe
- Oral PrEP Private Sector Landscape Analysis
- Oral PrEP Introduction Rollout Analysis for Zimbabwe
- Early Insights from PrEP Demo Projects
- Mapping of organizations and funders working on oral PrEP Mapping in Zimbabwe
- A Framework for Scaling Up PrEP can help implementers, government and advocates begin planning for and implementing PrEP programs.
- The IMPAACT Network is planning a study in Zimbabwe examining PrEP adherence among HIV-uninfected pregnant adolescents and young women, comparing pregnancy outcomes among women who take PrEP and women who decline PrEP during the antenatal period.
- Zimbabwe Oral PrEP Training Manual
- Click here for the latest information from the Zimbabwe Ministry of Health.
Zimbabwe Community Dialogue Materials
- [Full Report] Introducing Oral PrEP in Zimbabwe: findings from community dialogues with potential users
- Technical Brief: Potential users’ perspectives on Oral PrEP in Zimbabwe
- Community Dialogue Guide for Adolescent Girls and Young Women
- Guiding Questions for FGD and Open Discussion Forums
- Specific Additional Community Dialogue Questions